Meet Kendell Penington, author of The Lost Realm Series. Read on to learn more about her books, her favorite quote, and the awesomeness that is her hypothetical t-shirt.
1) Tell us a little about your book. The Lost Realm series is a 7 book series (with 3 finished thus far) and is about teenager twins, Emma and Evin LeFay, who discover they’re part of a supernatural race. Along the way, they’ll discover new abilities and fight mystical creatures. My books contain fighting, magic, and hot men—basically everything that’s great about YA fiction.
2) What is your favorite part about writing? Least favorite? My favorite part about writing is that I get to call the shots. I have the ability to create characters in put them in a world I’ve created, something that’s always been amazing to me. My least favorite part about writing is that sometimes it’s not always as easy as I would like.
3) A director tells you that you have complete control over casting the movie version of your book. Who plays whom? I always saw a young Henry Cavill or Tom Welling in the part of Evin. They’ve both got that whole strong and silent and sexy thing going on for them, and I just melt every time I see them. For Emma, I could easily someone like Cara Delevigne or Grace Phipps take on the role, simply because they’re each so fabulous.
4) If your house was burning down and you could save one thing, what would it be (don’t say photo albums, everyone says photo albums)? My toy poodle, Lily. The next thing would be my notebooks containing the original rough drafts for The Lost Realm Series.
5) If you could choose what one message that a reader takes away from reading your book, what would it be? I just want those who read my books to know that it’s ok to be different. I feel like a lot of the times, we live in a world where we’re encouraged to assimilate into the normativity of society, but I disagree with that. To be different is to be special.
6) Imagine a world where everyone wears a t-shirt that says something about who they are as a human being, i.e. “Doesn’t play well with others” or “Don’t talk to me until I’ve had coffee.” What would yours say?“I’m not actually funny. I’m just really mean and people think I’m joking.”
7) Who has been your biggest supporter in your writing? Growing up, before I was published, my aunt was always very supportive of my writing. She was always very reciprocating of the things I would give her to read, even when I was eleven years old and my writing was crap. From the eyes of an eleven-year-old, it was always very cool that an adult was able to treat my writing and me as an equal.
8) What writer do you admire the most and why? I’ve always been a huge fan of F. Scott Fitzgerald. No one writes like Fitzgerald. J.K. Rowling is also an idol of mine, simply because she made the most out of her circumstances and inspired me to write in a way that no one else could do.
9) If you had only one book to read for the rest of your life what would it be? Definitely The Great Gatsby.
10) Favorite quote about writing, life or otherwise: “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” –Ralph Waldo Emerson
INFO: Book title: The Lost Realm Series. (The Guardians, The Secret Society, and The Apprentice.) Amazon Link: buy it here Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/KL-Penington/541739525889863?ref=hl Twitter: @KLPenington Website: https://klpenington.wordpress.com Goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7201902.K_L_Penington